Here you will find general information about obtaining a student visa, information differing in origin country (if the information does not appear here, ask us, we have our legal assistents!)

Spanish Student Visa FAQ


Will the school help me apply for the visa?

BCNLIP School offers courses that allow you to get a type D Student Visa. If you have contacted us through an agency, you have to address the agency to discuss all the issues concerning your visa application.
If you have contacted us on your own, we will provide you with the list of documents necessary for the application and also answer the general questions concerning getting a student visa (based on our students’ experiences).
We cannot accompany you to the bank or to other institutions that you have to visit to get the documents, but we can help you get a lawyer’s consultation. The first consultation with the lawyer with whom we collaborate costs €50; to file an online application with the assistance of the lawyer would cost you €450 (if paid in cash). There are no discounts; there is also the option to find another lawyer on your own.

I am here on a tourist visa. Can I convert it to a student one?

Yes, unless you only have a 30-day visa or less, or if you have less than 31 days left of the 90 days during which you are allowed to stay in the EU (all the days throughout the last half a year count).
In all the other cases you can convert your tourist visa to a student one, if you collect all the necessary documents and apply for a visa with a lawyer assisting you.

What documents do I need to apply for the visa if I am in Spain now?

We can send you the (regularly updated) list of documents if you write us at or in WhatsApp: +34933186591.

Can I apply for the visa on my own, without the lawyer’s assistance?

You can do it if you book an appointment to the Extranjería (Immigration Office) to apply for the documents there. In case you apply on your own, you will have to visit the office in person, collecting all the documents in paper form in advance.
When applying on your own you are not able to get the updated information on your application status. If the immigration office needs additional documents or has any issues, they will only be able to contact you through a letter. There are often problems with receiving letters on time (or receiving them at all), so you might not be able to respond on time, and in this case you risk being denied a visa.
We cannot assist you on how to apply on your own because we do not recommend this way of applying.

Can I apply on my own online?

To do so you would need a special certificate, which you cannot get until you have a NIE. You can only apply online for the initial student visa if you are assisted by a lawyer or a consultant.

Can I get a refund if I change my mind and don’t want to go to Spain anymore?

Your ability to study depends on you getting a residence permit, so you can only get a refund if you are denied a visa and have an official letter from the consulate confirming this information. You cannot get a refund on any other terms.

What happens if I am denied a visa?

It depends on the reason why it was denied. If it is possible, you can appeal the refusal and we will reschedule your course up until the moment you get the decision on your appeal. If it is not possible to appeal the visa refusal, or if you wouldn’t like to do it, we will refund you the full cost of the course (except for the enrollment fee). It takes up to 90 days to get a refund after you have applied for it.

Can I come to Spain on a student visa and take my spouse or children with me?

You can do it, but you can only apply for the visa for the accompanying person from within your country, after your own visa application has been approved. We cannot assist you in getting this type of visa; you’ll need to consult a lawyer.

Can my children simply come with me?

Your children would have to get the accompanying person visas. If they are older than 6 years old, you’ll also have to find a school for them. If the second parent is not coming with you, you will need their permission. These are issues you should discuss with a lawyer, too.

I am in a third country. Can I apply from here?

If you are a resident in the country where you are right now, you can do it. However, we cannot provide you with the visa approval statistics in such cases.

I am in my home country. What is the best way to apply?

In some cases you can only come to Spain on a tourist visa and apply for the student one here.


  • When does the next course start?

We start new Beginner groups each first Monday of the month. New groups open every month. If you have already studied Spanish, you’ll have to take an online test. After that you’ll be able to join a group of your level any day.

  • What language do the teachers speak at the lessons?

Our teachers are native speakers and use Spanish all the time at the lessons starting right from scratch. Your classmates are from all over the world, so we cannot teach using the English language. This is a widespread practice; our program is designed to be immersive and effective for people from different countries.

  • At what time do the lessons start?

There are five lesson shifts, starting at 9.30, 11.30, 13.30, 15.30, and 17.30. You’ll know your schedule a week before the course starts.
As the grounds for your residence permit is our course, you will have to follow the schedule provided by the school. You are going to have two lessons a day, Monday through Thursday, and three lessons on Friday. While applying for the course, you can tell us what schedule you would prefer, but we cannot guarantee it will be available.

  • Are there weekend groups?

Yes , since April 2023, BCNLIP has weekend classes planned. You will have classes on Fridays (8 hours), Saturdays (6 hours), and Sundays (6 hours). Limited spots, please contact us to find out more.

  • Can I change my schedule?

You can do it, but only if you have serious grounds to do so. You can fill in an application form for changing your schedule, then the administration of the school will consider your application and let you change the group if there are vacant places in another group of the same level. If there are no vacant places, you might have to stay in the same group.

  • Is it possible to study online?

Given that your residency depends on the course, it can only be in-person. Students are allowed to attend the lessons online for a short period of time if they have a serious reason: an illness or a trip that they have to take. You cannot always attend lessons in online-only mode if you need the course for the visa.

  • Can I study other languages?

To get a student visa in Spain you can either choose Spanish or Catalan. You can take up some additional lessons of other languages later.


  • Can I book an accommodation?

Our school has apartments and rooms reserved for students. Usually they are booked long in advance, so you have to book your accommodation approximately four months before the course starts.

  • Can I book this type of room or apartment if I have a pet?

Unfortunately, we can’t offer you the school accommodation if you have a pet.


  • How much do I have to pay for the course?

To get the updated prices, write to us at or in WhatsApp: +34933186591

  • How can I pay?

By cash, a bank card or a bank transfer.

  • Can I pay in several instalments?

It is necessary to pay for the course in full before you apply the documents for your visa. Also, the school only gives you the necessary documentation for the visa application after you have paid in full.


Can I use a foreign bank account to prove that I have the financial means to reside in Spain, if I am already in Spain?

If you are already in Spain, you should have the money in your Spanish bank account. You can open it easily: we´ll tell you what to do.

I don’t have a criminal background check. What should I do?

You need the original document in paper form, issued by the authorities of the country (or countries) in which you have been resident in the past five years. Different countries have different processes and fees for getting these certificates. You can easily Google the rules for your country, but remember that US citizens need a certificate issued by the State or Federal Police (FBI), not the local police.
The certificate must bear the Apostille of the Hague Convention.

What kind of insurance do I need?

It is necessary to have an insurance with an unlimited coverage without co-payments, including hospitalisation, emergency, and repatriation. You can buy the insurance when you are opening a bank account or separately, at ASSSA.

How much money should I prove I have in my bank account?

Approximately 600 euros for each month of your course. You need to have the full sum in your own bank account.

Follow us on: